Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Jesus Taking Out My Trash?

So I've recently been contemplating the humility of God and studying meekness. I've been studying Matthew 5:5 where Jesus says, "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth." Meekness is faithfully cultivating a servant's heart to esteem others better than yourself. The one who is meek lays down his life for others. He is gentle, tender, kind, patient, and not looking out for himself. He is not always demanding his own rights or his own way He is not focused on himself. He's doesn't defend himself. He doesn't always have to be right, have the last word, win the argument, or prove his point. The one who is meek is given to serving others, to taking the low place, and to living for the benefit of others. More and more I am coming to see how much I lack meekness!

Why does God require meekness of us? I believe primarily because He is the God who is meek; He is the Humble King. He leads in humility and governs the earth in meekness. Meekness is one of the core values of His Kingdom.

Jesus embodied meekness as He walked on the earth. In John 13, He does the unthinkable! He washes the feet of His disciples. This was the lowest job reserved for the slave of the house. And here God takes a towel and a basin of water, bends down and begins to scrub caked dirt, mud, and animal waste, etc off of the feet of the disciples. We all remember the story. When it's Peter's turn, he freaks out a little bit. He had an authentic revelation of who Jesus was, none other than Messiah, the very Son of God. And He cries, 'No! Jesus, you will NEVER wash my feet!' We are quick to criticize Peter, but let's put it in a little more modern scenario. Can you imagine Jesus, in all of His glory, showing up at your house for no other reason but to take out your trash! This is not beneath Him to do that. I can hear it now, "No! Jesus, not You. You don't have to do that. I'll take out the trash. You can't take out my trash. It's trash and You're God!"

Our God is a servant. We can never receive Him as King until we first receive Him as our Servant. It is humility for God to even look at things in heaven and in the earth (Psalm 113) and yet He takes great delight in embracing meekness and humility daily to serve you and I. Every time He speaks to us, every time He provides for us, every time He heals us, He is putting His humility on display. He is the God of Humility and Meekness, the One who is the slave of all, (Mark 10:44) and He invites you and I to be just like Him. I want to live a life of meekness!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Hey Jamie, I know you haven't posted here in a while, but I'm hoping you'll get this comment because you are the winner of my Betty Crocker giveaway!!! I announced it on Monday but if I don't hear back from you soon I'll have to re-draw a new winner! Please email me your address: jen at alifeofsugarandspice dot com so i can get your prize shipped to you!